Did you ever see those crazy people in "spinning" class? Pedal, pedal, pedal, faster, faster, stand up, sit down. Ugh! Who in their right mind wants to hardcore pedal a bike for an hour? Well, today I was totally, by accident, one of those crazy people.
Two of my girlfriends and I have spontaneously become each others motivation and somewhat excuse to go to the gym. (I say "excuse" because we are some chatty cathy's when we get there!) We go to the all-women's gym on base which has these awesome classes offered almost every hour. So a couple times a week we text each other the night before to see who's going when and mostly to reinforce that we do, indeed, need to show up. The gym offers free childcare while you work out, which is huge since we all have kids 2 and under. Naomi hates it there, of course. I mean, why go to the free gym childcare when mommy can pay for me to be at Playdate? Today I thought I'd give it one more shot....
So today all three of us showed up at the same time ready to go for what we thought was "aero box," whatever that is. Sounded like something cardio, and as long as it doesn't say "spin" or "cycle" I'm game. However, little did we know that the paper schedules they hand out mean NOTHING and you really never know what class you are in for. Case in point: today at 10:30 was "Cycle Blast." Def not a "blast." Ha, you should have seen the stunned looks on our faces when the instructor pulled her bike on the floor..."umm, is there a cycle class next?" Well we had no choice but to go along with it. One of us left her studying for a gym break, and two of us managed to have our toddlers content in the kid's area. Yep, Naomi survived the gym nursery. Here's how I did it- I REALLY talked up the fact that her favorite 18-month friend would be there, and we waited for him to arrive. Then she and him walked hand in hand into the play area. Of course I had to enter as well...but when she wasn't looking I snuck out. Oh the terrors of being a toddler- one second your safe, secure mom is there; the next she's GONE. Apparently she did cry for 10 minutes (which I couldn't hear over the loud spin music) but then the girl watching the kids asked "Are you hurt?"
"No."
"Well then there's nothing to cry about! We are having fun in here!"
And Naomi stopped. I think she was just mad about being outsmarted. I doubt she even looked at that girl again. How dare she say there is nothing to cry about! Makes me laugh...I'll have to try that one at home.
So there we were, the three of us with our bikes lined up ready to -eek!- cycle. But you know what? 60 minutes later I was still there cooling off to One Republic's "Apologize." I did it! I did a spin class. Even the instructed said it, "You're body can handle much more than you think."
So go ahead. Push yourself. I dare you.